Already registered for the Bluenose? You can still join our team and help the EAC have our biggest team yet. Simply click the following link, sign in and choose "Ecology Action Centre" as your charity of choice: http://bluenosemarathon.com/charity-challenge/for-fundraisers/
Join our running or walking fundraising team on Blue Nose race weekend! Choose the 5k, 10k, 15k, Half or Full Marathon distance. Have fun, keep fit, and raise funds for the EAC!
This is one of our most important annual fundraising events. For the seventh year in a row, the Ecology Action Centre’s Green Avengers team of eco-superheroes is taking to the streets to run and walk in the Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon for a cleaner, greener Nova Scotia. Whether you're a runner or a walker, we'd love to have you join us.
When you join the Green Avengers and commit to getting at least 16 donations to sponsor your race, we'll subsidize your race fees! You only pay $25, and EAC covers the rest As a Green Avenger, you can run or walk any of the available distances: 5K, 10K, 15K, Half Marathon, Full Marathon, or Youth race. Your donations can be any amount.
Click here to join the Green Avengers, and take the 16-pledge challenge in return for the registration subsidy!
EAC Run Clinic and 5K Novice Run Group – Back by Popular Demand!
The EAC offers a 12 week, coached run clinic for our team members.
Clinics take place each Thursday. They include 30-minutes of active learning followed by a 30-minute coached workout. Learning sessions will cover training plans, running form and technique, nutrition, how to run hills, how to do speed work, run clothing and shoes, and more.
Whether your goal is to finish your first 5k, run the whole 5k, or improve your time this is the group for you! We will use a walk/run style that increases the amount you run a little each week to get you ready for the start line and to reach your goal.
Our coaches will provide you with a basic training plan and help you personalize yours to achieve your goal and have fun. It’s also a fun way to meet fellow participants and support each other on the way to race day!
NOTE - We need a minimum of 12 participants in order to run the Clinic. Check YES in the registration form to let us know you’re interested!
The clinic session is aimed at supporting the 5k Novice Run Group. However, all EAC Green Avengers are welcome to drop in to any of the clinic sessions that might be of interest.
Program Date and time: Every Thursday 6pm, Starting March 8th until the Race!
Location: Meet at the EAC, 2705 Fern Lane
Cost: FREE for all Green Avengers!
Your coaches: Shannon and Danny have both been running competitively since they were knee high to a grasshopper and have coached running, triathlon, and other sports to share their love of being active. Their coaching aim is to make sure people have fun in sport, keep injury free, and reach their goal.
Building a Training Plan - March 8, 2018, 6 p.m.
Group Runs & Team Support
All team members are welcome to join us each Thursday at 6 p.m. for a group run. It’s a great way to keep you motivated, meet new people, and keep training fun! This is an optional opportunity, all are welcome.
The person who gets the highest number of pledges AND the person who raises the most money will each win a free massage from Victoria Rose Wellness! https://www.victoriarosewellness.com/
Option A: Take the 16-pledge challenge
What you commit to: You get at least 16 fundraising pledges of any amount for the EAC to support your race. You come to at least one group run per month.
What we offer: We pay for part of your registration fee, so you only pay $25, regardless of which distance you’re doing. We check in regularly about your fundraising goals, and provide lots of support to help you reach them. We organize regular team meetings with guest speakers on useful topics like training tips, nutrition, stretching, and more. AND you get to run (or walk) with an awesome super-hero cape and costume!
Option B: Set your own goal
What you commit to: You set a fundraising goal that works for you, and do your best to reach it. You get a minimum of one donation for the EAC. Team meetings are optional. You pay your own fees.
What we offer: You're welcome to join the weekly group runs. We'll provide some fundraising support, in accordance with where you set your goal. Plus you can still wear the cape and costume!
The Blue Nose is our biggest fundraising event of the year. Your race provides us with much-needed resources to tackle the most pressing environmental issues of our time.
Some of our successes in 2017:
- Our Welcoming Wheels program provided more than 162 new Canadians with refurbished bicycles, new helmets, lights, bells, and locks, and provided participants with safe cycling training and post-program support.
- For over decade we have been advocating for legislative change to protect our beautiful coastlines. We welcomed the commitment from four political parties to establish and implement a Coastal Protection Act that protects people, properties, and coastal ecosystems across our province!
- More than 11,000 students in Nova Scotia participated in IWALK, an international event that looks to engage and educate children and youth about the benefits of walking.
- Our continued advocacy made headlines during the provincial election, bringing the destructive practice of clearcutting to the forefront. Now equipped with a drone, EAC has been able to document inaccessible regions and better expose them to the public. We will continue to advocate during the recently announced forestry review and amplify our calls for the end or significant reduction of destructive forest harvesting practices including clearcutting, whole tree harvesting for biomass, and herbicide spraying.
- EAC's marine team, as the longest standing Canadian ENGO observer to the Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Organization, helped to protect an additional 5 seamounts in the New England seamount chain from all bottom fishing activity - linking high seas protections with those in place (as of now) to those within US waters. Seamounts are undersea mountains that are home to a diversity of fragile and vulnerable marine organisms.
There's still a lot of work to be done. Join the Green Avengers in 2018 and do your part for our planet!
If you’re taking the 16-pledge challenge (Option A), you can sign up here.
If you’re setting your own goal (Option B), you can sign up on the Blue Nose Marathon website and select Ecology Action Centre as your charity of choice in the Charity Challenge section of the form.
What are the regular Blue Nose registration fees?
Here are the current fees, as found on www.bluenosemarathon.com on January 22nd:
I have more questions
Contact Dana Lipnicki, a.k.a. Captain Avenger, at 902-454-5226 or Dana@ecologyaction.ca
See you on race day!