International Walk to/at School Month – October 2018
October 1-5, 2018 is International Walk to School Week
October 3, 2018 is International Walk to School Day
or any day/week of your choice in October!
International Walk to School Month gives children, parents, school teachers and community leaders an opportunity to be part of a global event as they celebrate the many benefits of walking. People from over 40 countries walk to school together for various reasons — the environment, physical activity, safety and fun – all hoping to create communities that are safe places to walk.
Register your school by September 30 to receive IWALK stickers for all participating students!
All schools/groups who register and also complete the Award and Feedback Form at the end of October will also qualify to win one of the following prizes:
- a classroom kit of pedometers, walker pins and reflective arm/leg bands (25 each)
- a one year school digital subscription to Green Teacher and a copy of Teaching Kids About Climate Change, donated by Green Teacher
- five $50 off certificates, donated by Aerobics First
- five bike maintenance service certificates (valued at $50 each), donated by Halifax Cycles
- a bike to give away to a lucky bike-minded student or a gift certificate for the school (for up to $350), donated by Cyclesmith
International Walk to School Month is a partnership of the Ecology Action Centre and the Nova Scotia Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage.
How to Get Involved
It’s not just for walking students, it's for bussing students too!
How to include your bussed students:
• Involve your bussing population at lunch time for 20 minutes
• Walk around the school (bicycles, skateboards and roller blades welcome if permitted)
• Have a group walk in the local community
• Take a trek on a nearby trail
• Walk around the gymnasium
Remember school bus safety at all times. See http://www.schoolbussafety.ca for details.
Participating Schools and Communities
Photos from Admiral Westphal Elementary's Walk to Breakfast Event on October 11, 2012:
Walk to School Resources
Here are a few inspiring ideas from past events, and our How to Organize a Walk to School Event Guide or Guide des organisateurs has all sorts of suggestions to help you organize your event, so check it out!
IWALK Class AT Participation Challenge
Here you may download a quick hands up survey form that you can use to run a participation challenge at school among all classes in order to encourage more people to be active on the way to school during a whole week of your choice (Monday to Friday) in October. Teachers ask how students traveled to & from school first thing in the morning each day, and only write in the number of students who raised their hand for each of the columns (walked, walked part-way, biked, etc.) and the total number of students in class that day. Estimated time to complete the survey is 5 min per day or less.
An IWALK volunteer in the school can use these class surveys to find out the Total AT participation for each class that week, and include the results in the school morning announcements or monthly newsletters. Upper elementary teachers can use these surveys to integrate this AT Challenge into their math curriculum and have students to calculate their daily averages too...